These have been emotional, trying, intense, confusing, and uncertain times. There is a lot to navigate right now– individually and collectively. Thus, I wanted to offer just *some* of the resources available to teens and young adults during this global crisis.
Most offerings are shared in this guide are “evergreen,” meaning you will have ongoing access. Date/time-specific offerings will be noted in the description. Additionally, most options are free of charge, unless otherwise noted.
If you know of additional resources, offerings, or tools that you think belong on this list, please reach out and share the relevant links! I will update this list regularly, so please consider it a living document. Thank you for being here, friends. You are loved and supported.
Mental Health Resources:
- Create and document your support system
- Inclusive Therapists: An online database that centers the needs of marginalized populations, including Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, the LGBTQ+ community, neurodivergent folx, and people with disabilities. Reduced fee teletherapy available here! (database)
- How to Stop a Panic Attack (Or ANY Pain) in 5 Minutes Using EFT! (aka “tapping”), taught by Organic Olivia (EASY how-to video + article).
- Free Tapping Meditations created by The Tapping Solution (Sign up with name and email, then search “corona”; in-app audio meditations).
- Self-Havening for Health Empowerment & Anxiety Reduction Practice taught by Dr. Kate Truitt (video)
- 10 Ways to Protect Your Mental Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic with tips by Julie Burke, LPC (article)
- Four Ways To Ease Coronavirus Anxiety by STOP, BREATHE, & THINK (in-app audio and video)
- Dating and Coronavirus: Can You Still Kiss, Have Sex, and Go on Dates by Nona Willis Aronowitz of Teen Vogue (article)
- 12 Teens On Being Stuck At Home Because Of The Coronavirus by Buzzfeed (article)
- Use Netflix Party to watch TV/movies with your friends
- Covid-19: How to Keep your Friends while Keeping your Distance by Sam Brooks (article)
- Celebrate your birthday or a friend’s birthday in creative (physically distant) ways. Find inspo here!
- A sample schedule for how to structure your homeschool days by Khan Academy
- Free digital resource guide by content area by Erin Goad, Librarian
- Learn to code at Codecademy
- Learn a new skill on SkillShare (Free two-month Skillshare access for those with .edu and .k12 email addresses and a limited number of two-month free memberships based on need.)
- Learn a new language with Open Culture
- Staying Inside Do’s and Dont’s (a cartoon guide)
- Write a letter to your future self on Future Me (protip: use an email address you’re likely to be using ina few years; a web-based experience)
- Self-Compassion Guided Meditations and Exercises by Kristen Neff (audio + how-tos)
- The Slow Adventure– A collective story about/audio walk created by children/teens on a tiny island in Northern Norway (audio)
- Self-Care Series for Teens by Bliss Kid Yoga. March 30th-April 3rd at 5-6pm CST, $50 suggested donation for the series)
- Home for the Holidays: 7 Tips to Avoid Reverting to your Pre-College Self by Aubree Brown (in this case, home for quarantine; article)
- Boundaries Around Coronavirus Can Sound Like… (7 ready-to-use phrases)
- 25 Foods You Can Re-Grow Yourself from Kitchen Scraps by DIY & Crafts
- Free Community Meditation from Mind Oasis (live video meditations)
- Scavenger Hunt Bingo for a sunny day walk from Bat City Counseling
- Online Art and Marker Classes by Brit + Co (through 3/31; FREE with code SELFCARE at checkout)
- Live Animal Cams
- Museum and Gallery Tours
- Free audiobooks from Audible!
- Free access to magazines, books, audiobooks, and documents (including sheet music) from Scribd
- Online board games
- Google Earth Offers Vivid Virtual Tours of 30 Famous World Heritage Sites
- Browse and Download Books from the NYPL
- More books (ebooks + audio) from The Internet Archive’s “Open Library”
- Write and share a story about your life as a quaranTEEN. Here’s just one example!
- Live Streams & Virtual Concerts to Watch During Coronavirus Crisis by Billboard
- 3 Months of Free Online Guitar Lessons by Fender (to the first 100,000 who sign up for Fender Play)
- Road Trip from Home: Virtual Field Trips (thanks to readers Jacob and Samuel for this share!)
- Social Disdancing: An Online Dance Party by Bear Hebert (FREE; Wednesdays and Saturdays at 7pm CST)
- Jess G Yoga Live on Facebook by Jess G (FREE/donation; Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9am CST)
- Yoga with Adriene (TONS of videos)
- At-Home Workouts with YMCA (videos)
- Living Room Dance Parties by DJ Mel (Saturday evenings/nights)
- 5 Free At-Home Workouts by Shohreh Davoodi (no equipment required; handout + videos)
Ways to Help in Your Community:
- Make hand sanitizer gel/spray for your family and/or neighbors– for porch pick up only, of course.
- Sew or 3D print face masks for your local medical community and for folks who are still working in essential jobs
- ‘Adopt’ A Lonely Grandparent In Isolation
Additional Guides to Consult:
This guide by Enriched Families includes additional information for families on how to GIVE + GET help during the time of COVID-19.
Courtney Harris Coaching offers 1:1 life coaching services to tweens, teens, and young adults, as well as parenting coaching. Through the coaching process, clients are supported in getting out of old patterns that aren’t serving them, meeting goals, and taking actions to create intentional transformation. During COVID-19, Courtney is offering pay what you can sessions for families in need. Please contact us directly to get scheduled. Stay well, friends.